Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Me or him

I read an interesting blog a father wrote about his feelings toward his sons' behavior in public.  He took him ice skating at the NJ Devils facility and his son spent 45 minutes doing a play-by-play of a game he had recently watched.  He  didn't annoy or bother anyone around him.  He was simply happy to skate around and recreate the game that was playing in his head.  As the dad watched he realized he was bothered that his son wasn't just skating and doing the "normal" thing everyone else was.  It made him stop and question why he was feeling that way.

It got me to thinking about my two boys.  If you have met my boys, especially Braedon, you will know he likes to act out or dialogue television shoes he's watched.  Right now it is Mickey Mouse Once Upon a Christmas.  He does a fantastic Donald Duck!  He'll start at the beginning of the movie and do the words and actions to the entire show, including music.  On one hand I think it is a remarkable talent to be able to remember all of that.  When we are home, I'm fine with him doing this.  The problem I have is he will do it in public too.

He uses it as a way to escape the chaotic world around him and into something he has control over.  If we are in unfamiliar places or around unfamiliar people, he will sometimes begin to act out one of his shows or movies.  If you were to watch him, chances are you wouldn't understand him.  Many times I can only get a few words, but I know the show too so I can follow along.  I'm actually ok that he does this.  It makes him happy and allows him to feel safe.

My concerns and those of the father above are the older your child gets the stranger this looks.  People watch him with a strange look on there face or give me a bit of a look if his volume gets too loud.  If he is too loud or destructive, I jump in and help change the behavior.  Maybe it's more my problem and less his.  I worry that he'll be made fun of or bullied because he doesn't always act "normal." 

He's only seven now, so a lot of these behaviors are fine and don't get in the way, but what happens when he is 14 and is doing this?  I hope I can teach him to have confidence and a strong sense of self.  I'm working on establishing a good relationship with the children in his class.

I work with Braedon every morning on saying hello, by name, to everyone he knows.  His first grade class is amazing!  They are the nicest kids I could have asked to be in my sons class.  He's the only child with autism in the 1st grade. Each new school year, I go into his class and talk to all the kids about what makes Braedon the same as everyone else.  What can they do to help Braedon out when he is having trouble.  It never fails the children always answer with, "Be his friend."  My hope is to help reduce bullying as Braedon gets older.  Only time will tell.

No comments: