Wednesday, February 22, 2012

RED

Today I'm going to write about my feelings towards Reilly's development. He is 4 years 4 months old. As I sit here watching him watch Mickey Mouse, I can think of 100 things he can't do and 100 things he can. I worry he is lower functioning then Braedon. Since both of my boys have autism, I really don't know what a typical 4 year-old does.

Reilly doesn't really talk. He has "phrases" he's learned from tv and will use them, occasionally. When he does, most people probably wouldn't be able to understand him. When I ask him to do something, I have to wait a considerable amount of time for him to process what I've said and try to understand it. He is very limited as to what he understands.

I worry about him. He still has one full year of preschool at the Pingree Center left, which I am ever so thankful for. I remember with Braedon wondering if he'd ever say, Mom. One day he did, and I have to have the same faith Reilly will too.

Reilly has some of the more traditional characteristics of autism that Braedon doesn't. Reilly will flap his little arms when he is frustrated, cover his ears if he finds a noise too loud (it isn't too loud for us), and lately he will flick his lower lip. He also will bounce his head against the wall when he is upset. Those sensory things are more characteristically associated with autism.

On the up side (I do look at the upside), he is testing at his age in gross and fine motor skills. If you've spent anytime with Reilly, you can easily understand that. I think Reilly has my athleticism. This May, I've enrolled him in a special soccer camp. I think he'll really enjoy that.

I think today I'm just worried about my precious little Reilly. He is a great boy with such a loving heart. He is stubborn and strong willed. I am very blessed to be his mother.

No comments: