Monday, February 20, 2012

my boys

Braedon is over half way through kindergarten. It has gone better then I had hoped and prayed. He has made friends, enjoyed learning, and started to learn to read and write. I see so many positive things happening for him, but I worry about the first grade.

When academics start taking priority over the social, I think he will struggle. I'm constantly looking for ways to help him understand patterns, events, and words. It's a slow process. Kind of like watching molasses run down a wall in the winter. I have to keep telling myself that any progress is progress.

Braedon is happy. I worry when he starts to learn he isn't the same as most of his friends. I try to give him praise and positive remarks, even if he doesn't understand all of it. I've also become pretty good friends with his classmates. I hope they continue to treat him as wonderful as they do now.

I went with his class on a fieldtrip not too long ago. We went to a nature museum and I was given four children (including Braedon) to watch over. After the lecture we made some bread snacks for the ducks and headed outside. We walked around and fed the birds. When Braedon wanted to go a different way, he got a little upset. On of the children in our group, Dallas, looked at me and said, "Let's follow Braedon so he doesn't freak out." He then turned to Braedon and told him, "It's ok Braedon. We'll follow you."

You just can't beat the heart of a kinder!!

I'll continue to worry about Braedon, but with each passing day I'll also be so thankful for the progress he has made.

We are STILL trying to potty train Reilly. I have a feeling this will take a good amount of my patience. Because his language skills are so behind, you can't just explain things to him and have him explain things to you. Keep your fingers crossed we get him potty trained before he starts kindergarten.

No comments: