Saturday, January 11, 2014

Braedon's Baptism

Braedon was baptized on October 26, 2013 by his Dad, Dean. It was an amazing day, filled with family, friends, school teachers, ward members, and a feeling that the Lord was very happy with Braedon. I was worried having so many people would cause Braedon to have a meltdown and nothing would happen. As it turned out, he loved every minute of it. We got to the Church early and I helped Braedon change into his white clothes. He really seemed excited to get in them. We then went to look at the font and check out the water. He was so amazed and excited. We had talked about what a Baptism would be like and what he would do. When we walked back out, Braedon saw a few people he knew and ran to them. He gave hugs and hand shakes to everyone when they got there. I really feel he knew the day was about him and everyone coming was coming to support him. My mom played the piano, of course. The speakers were Vikki and Jamee, Braedons "Aunts". We kept the program short and light (no special music numbers) to help Braedon. We also had the baptism at 9:00am on a Saturday, which is early. Braedon does best first thing in the morning. Once his medicine kicks in, he can relax and enjoy what goes on around him. Dean and I sat on the front row with Braedon. My dad, Vikki, and Jamee sat behind us with Reilly. It was such a blessing that Reilly did as well as he did. I had visions of Reilly diving into the font. Thankfully, that never happened. Braedon sat on the front row just beaming. He was so happy. Our Bishop opened the meeting by asking Braedon to turn around and look at all the people that came to his Baptism. When he did he said, "Wow" and had the biggest smile on his face. We sang I Am A Child of God and my dad said the opening prayer. Jamee gave a wonderful talk on baptism. She had several things to use to demonstrate what baptism is and why it is important. It seemed like it was just Braedon and Jamee sitting in a room together. He was so into what she was saying. Then it was time to get in the water. I stood up with Braedon and walked one way and Dean walked the other. When it was just Braedon and I, I told him he would do great. He looked up and saw Dean standing in the water with his hand out. Braedon took it and walked into the font. I stood there and watched my oldest son and my wonderful husband, and I couldn't help but think how lucky I am. Dean performed the baptism and Braedon went under the water. When he came up, he walked back to me so I could help him get dressed. It was just Braedon and I in the changing room. He was so happy. I hugged him and told him I was very proud and he responded with, "Thank you Mom". A funny thing that happened is I forgot to bring an extra pair of underwear, so he went commando the rest of the service. I helped him put his Sunday clothes on and we walked back into the room with all his friends. He could not get the great big grin off his face. We sat down and listened to Vikki give a great talk on the Holy Ghost. She wrapped Braedon up in a blanket to let him know the Holy Ghost will be there to help us and keep us warm and protect us. It was great! After the talk, Dean confrimed Braedon a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and gave him the gift of the Holy Ghost. It was a great prayer. The closing prayer was How Firm a Foundation, which is actually Braedon's favorite hymn. He loved the Mormon Tabernacle Choir singing it when he was little. The third verse is one that I hold very close to my heart. On the day Braedon was diagnosed with Autism, I was driving home and my emotions were all over the place. I turned on my radio and had a cd in at the time. The third verse of this song started and changed everything for me. It was exactly what I needed. It goes: Fear not, I am with thee; oh, be not dismayed, For I am they God and will still give thee aid. I'll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand, Upheld by my righteous, updehld by my righteous, Upheld by my righteous omnipotent hand. As I led the baptism in singing this verse, I found myself unable to sing and filled with emotion. I just led and didn't sing the rest. I was so happy. Our very good friend, Kendall, said the closing prayer. Braedon then walked around and hugged and thanked everyone for coming. He really did know this day was about him and about his decision to be baptized. It was a great day.

No comments: