Friday, August 30, 2013

School

Another school year has started.  Braedon began the 2nd grade on Monday.  His teacher is Mrs. Louilas, who has been teaching school at Viewmont for 25 years.  She's a very nice woman who has great enthusiasm for the children.  Braedon sure seems to like her. 

Reilly will start Kindergarten on Tuesday.  We were so fortunate to get him in all day Kindergarten.  Last year Viewmont did all day Kindergarten for special needs kids.  They had seven kids enrolled which stressed their budget to the max.  Unfortunately, this meant the next year they simply wouldn't be able to do all day Kindergarten a second year.  I understood this, but was disappointed.  Reilly has been attending Pingree for several years and was used to going to school all day.  I was afraid he'd fall behind more be only going a few hours a day.  Also, let's be honest, I'm such a better mother when my children and I have a break from each other.  I found out Reilly was the only Kindergartner with special needs at Viewmont this year.  I felt the door open a little.  After talking and talking with people, we all determined Reilly would be better served by going to school all day.  HOORAY!!  Tuesday, Reilly will start school and be full day.  I couldn't be happier.  Not only will he get academic support, but also social, emotional, physical, occupational therapy, nutritional therapy, and so many other things he needs. 

I like the school my boys go to.  The school year is both a blessing and a curse for me, personally.  I am reminded how behind my boys are when they are around neuro-typical children their own age.  I sometimes wonder what my life would be like if Autism weren't a part of it.  Luckily, I don't dwell on this aspect of life too often.  I'm so happy and blessed with what I do have.  Two wonderfully entertaining boys!

No comments: