Sunday, March 25, 2012

Prayer

Today Reilly said his prayer in Church...

We, meaning Dean, Reilly, Braedon and me, got to Primary and took our seats. Reilly and Dean sat in a row in front of Braedon and I. I only went because Braedon wanted to go home and was starting to have a meltdown. I hoped if I sat with him for a bit he'd calm down, and he did.

Dean goes with Reilly every Sunday. It took us an entire year to get Reilly to simply sit in his seat for opening exercises, which only last about 15 minutes. He wanted to run around, scream, play, anything! Except sit down quietly.

After a year of fighting with him, he has finally learned to sit in his seat. It's not without some problems. When it is time to go to class, he throws a fit. We are focusing this year on going to class. We might even focus on staying for the last part of Primary, but we'll see how this goes first.

Anyhoo, the Primary President said she didn't have anyone to say the opening prayer and did anyone want to volunteer. I immediately raised my hand and offered Reilly. Her response was, "Braedon?"

"Nope," I said. "Reilly" She again, said "Braedon?" We did this a few more times.

When it came time I stood up and asked Reilly to follow me up to the microphone. He walked and when we got up there he didn't want to be there. He started to scream and wiggle a bit. I held on tight for a moment and said, "Dear" to get him started. I had to do this a few times and then suddenly I heard it

Dear Heavenly Fadar... those were the most beautiful words I'd ever heard Reilly say. He continued by thanking for the day and all our blessings. He then asked to bless us all to sleep. That's how he says his night prayer and it's the one he knows. I whispered in his little ear the end of the prayer and he finished.

I've never seen our Bishop more surprised in his life. I'm pretty sure this was the first time any of the adults in Primary had ever heard Reilly speak. Usually he just grunts and screams. Reilly did take time to go back to the microphone and scream into it. That is Reilly.

He screamed all the way back to his seat. But he sat in it. He said a prayer. I got several compliments afterward. Those were the first words they had ever heard from my little four year-old.

Thank goodness he didn't swear...

No comments: