Sunday, April 1, 2012

Sunday

It's Sunday afternoon...


This is, perhaps, my favorite time of the week. No one is doing much of anything. Usually we watch a movie together or play with the boys. Today, Dean is on his way back from Colorado. He took his mom out to visit his Grandmother. The boys and I are in the front room enjoying Bubble Guppies. Well, the boys are enjoying Bubble Guppies.

Reilly occasionally screams out in frustration. He has started to say, "I want help peese." I cannot tell you how helpful that one sentence has become. He has also started to use the words yes and no. I'll ask, "Reilly, do you want an apple?" He'll reply, "Yes". It's amazing how that works. This simple interaction has taken us several years to reach. It makes such a difference. He doesn't scream, cry, and meltdown as much because he can communicate his needs.

If only potty training could go like that...

We went out to a balloon launch yesterday afternoon for Light it Up Blue. April is Autism Awareness Month. We had a great time. While we waited for everyone to arrive, all the children played on the slides and fun climbing things in the park. There is a certain level of humorous entertainment in watching a bunch of children with autism navigate a playground. Once everyone arrived, Braedon and I walked with everyone to the middle of the park. Reilly refused to leave the slide, so my mom stayed with him. We had a good group of a few hundred people and on the count of 10 we all let our blue balloons go. They sailed up and away and the children laughed and cheered. Braedon even found it a blast.

Once we got home and settled down a bit, Reilly found two balloons we brought home to play with. He grabbed the strings and started for the back door. Braedon noticed this the same time I did and we both jumped up. I thought Braedon was going to tackle Reilly to the floor. I took the balloons and explained the balloon launch was over. These balloons stayed in the house. After a few minutes of screaming at me, Reilly agreed.

No comments: